Laboratories and Services
Open access photovoltaic research infrastructure administrated by ProTech has been established by common efforts of ProTech and national Photovoltaic Technology Cluster. ERDF funds as well as financial contribution from Cluster‘s companies were used to establish 5 laboratories used for daily needs and joint research projects of the Cluster companies and outer customers. The laboratories are integrated into single unit under the name ProTechLab performing R&D projects and providing services from cutting wafers to testing modules.
Solar Cell Materials Testing Laboratory
- silicon testing during the period of silicon industrial production for manufacturers of silicon and solar cells;
- research of silicon samples for educational institutions;
- verification tests of silicon quality for semiconductor devices manufacturers.
- Silicon testing and research
- Determination of the carrier concentration distribution of p-type and n-type sides
Solar Cell Manufacturing Processes Research Laboratory
- experimental research of technological manufacturing processes of solar cells.
Implementing RTD activities non-contact laser techniques are used for formation of surface structures and development of high-efficiency solar cells of new structure. The laboratory staff is working on improvement of available solar cells production technological processes as well as on development of new processes with a focus on new laser processes. From the scientific and industrial viewpoint, laboratory using set of pulse power lasers - pulse duration from nanoseconds to femtoseconds – provides applied research and services ranging from formation of nanostructured surfaces to laser ablation of insulating layers and cutting wafers and solar cells.
- Ablation and removal of dielectric layers
- Cutting of silicon wafers and cells
- formation of grooves and holes in wafers and cells
- Laser diffusion
- Edge isolation
- Contact formation
- Surface texturing
- Diffusion processes
- Resistance measurement and determination of resistance temperature coefficient
Solar Modules Testing Laboratory
- measurement of PV modules,
- characterization of their technical parameters,
- accelerated ageing testing,
- indentification of modules performance,
- conducts quality inspections of PV modules manufacturing processes.
The modules testing is performed according IEC 61215:2005 standard.
Measurement and characterization
- I-V characteristics measurement at Standard Testing Conditions (STC)
- Power measurement at Nominal Operating Cell Temperature (NOCT: 800 W/m2)
- I-V characteristics measurement at low irradiance (700 W/m2, 500 W/m2, 400 W/m2, 300 W/m2, 200 W/m2, 100 W/m2)
- I-V characteristics measurement at 1200-800 W/m2 irradiance (irradiance changing step is 1 W/m2)
- Electrical insulation measurement
- Wet leakage current test
- Insulation test up to 6 kV (Hi Pot)
- Reverse current test
- Bypass diode thermal test
- Ground continuity test
Accelerated ageing testing
- UV resistance test
- Thermal cycling tests
- Humidity freeze tests
- Damp heat tests
Manufacturing processes verification
- Gel content measurement
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) thermal analysis
- Adhesion measurement
Photovoltaic Applied Research Laboratory
- investigation of produced and new designed solar cells and their structures for manufacturers of solar cells and researchers of educational institutions.
Manufacturers of solar cells, faced with the technological problems in the manufacturing process, have an opportunity to determine detailed analysis of carrier concentration distribution, spectral response, contact and an emitter resistors. This allows effectively to solve the problems and choose an optimal solution to the problem.
- Determination of the spectral response
- Determination of external and internal quantum efficiency
- Determination of the reflectance
- Determination of the bandwidth
- Determination of the contact resistance and emitter
- Mapping of contact and emitter layer resistance
- Mapping of shunt resistance
- Mapping of open-circuit voltage and shorted-circuit currrent
- Measurement of I-V characteristics at particular irradiance
- Measurement of solar cell series resistance
- 3D mapping of surface
- Measurement of solar cell thickness
Photovoltaic Demonstration Laboratory
The laboratory was established in order to demonstrate photovoltaic systems connected to the electricity grid in real operating conditions. Laboratory services are designed and useful for installers of PV systems and manufacturers of balancing systems wishing to assess quality of production as well as environmental impact of products. Quality performance assessment of PV systems under outdoor conditions and statistics variation of functional dependence are essential for the development of innovative PV systems and installation of structural elements.
- Quality performance assessment of PV systems under outdoor conditions
- Variation dependence of PV systems performance characteristics interval of time